View Single Post
Old 02-27-2017, 05:08 AM
sailingfun
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by DoUEvenLoopBro View Post
Hello everyone. I'm new to GA and by "new" I mean that I've never owned a private airplane before....I'm a military pilot with 2500+ hrs and am looking for a twin engine private plane to chauffeur the family around on for family vacations. We're currently on the east coast and would be looking to take trips primary <700 miles. Our longest trip at this point might tickle the 1000nm mark, but not likely at this point.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what we should be looking at??I've done some internet research and believe that I've narrowed some choices down to a (1) Piper Seneca ii/iii, (2) Piper Twin Commanche, (3) Piper Twin turbo Seminole, or a (4) twin Bonanza.

The majority of our trips would be to east coast snow ski destinations and the occasional trip to Florida so if anyone could offer some pros and cons it would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance for any recommendations or comments that you have.
Take a look at overhaul costs, insurance and annual expenses for a twin verses a single. There is a reason twins are selling so cheap. Make sure you have a prebuy done by a qualified mechanic who is not the guy who did the last annual. An aircraft that flies routinely is better then a hangar queen with lower hours. If the aircraft has been sitting spend the money to pull a cylinder and look inside the motors for corrosion.