View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 03:44 AM
FlewNavy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2016

Originally Posted by DoUEvenLoopBro View Post
All excellent advice everyone. Thank you much for the breakout Lava!! I've had 4 boats myself and am very familiar with the Bring On Another Thousand (BOAT) toys we spend our money on :) I feel your pain.

I intentionally left the Cessna 310 off of the list based on what I was researching.....I was finding the fuel burn runs between 25-29 gph, compared to 17-24 gph on the others, but maybe I need to revisit it as an option based on everyone's suggestions.

I've got a Fixed & Variable Cost budget sheet that I was working on as well, but it looks like I might need to update some numbers. I was finding annuals between $500-1000, but like you mentioned that might have been owner assisted pricing.....

Thanks again to everyone who has commented!!
Whatever cost you end up with - double it! I went with a 52yr old single for its speed and low operating costs. I've already put an additional 10k into tools, headsets, parts, supplies and repairs. I also discovered that the engine was run harder than previously thought so now having to think about 4K for top overhaul.

If you want a twin have at least 40K on hand at any moment to have an engine overhauled. If one engine goes bad and you can't overhaul it then the airplane sits and you need another overhaul. If you can't afford the first overhaul and need to sell airplane expect a Yuuuuuuge loss.

Lastly a high performance single does almost as well as a twin and statistically is no less safe.