View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 01:12 PM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by DoUEvenLoopBro View Post
Performance and safety are definitely on the top of my list and am simply looking for something roomy enough to fit 4 people (2 adults/2 kids) + ski equipment + luggage. We would also be using it for $100 hamburgers and shorter trips (<700 miles) that don't necessarily fall during ski season.

Everyone commenting here seems to be in agreement that I might want to start looking at some single engines instead. I'm also going to expand my search to the 310 since it seems to be a consensus on something that should be considered.

You guys are giving me some great advice. Thanks again!!
You might want to consider shipping the ski gear. Step up to an airplane that will take passengers plus the luggage plus skis and you're moving to cabin class, and a big hike in cost and maintenance.

If you're going skiing, you'll also need to look at high altitudes for field performance, somewhere that no light twins excell (or are remotely satisfactory, in most cases). Particularly piston equipment. You may want to expand your search to the Cessna 340 or larger, but soon you'll reach a place where a King Air 90 starts to look promising.

For what you're describing, a Navajo would be an appropriate size for pistons, albeit expensive, or move to a turbine Cheyenne or Conquest.

You'll be needing a solid IFR platform with known ice capability, and none of the light twins do very well in ice. You might look at the Twin Commander, as well, or at going with a Turbo Commander 690. That would make a lot more sense. Of course, if a few gallons fuel burn is a consideration, then costs are really tight, and you probably wont be looking to turbine equipment or cabin class twins.