Old 03-01-2017, 06:59 AM
CBreezy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by Systemized View Post
In my opinion, United is one step behind American.

Don't forget, American signed a deal for roughly 40 CRJ-700s with Skywest last year. Those plane were former United Express.

United is getting roughly 50 former American CRJ-200s through Air Wisconsin. It's a trade of regional pilots and American is getting more efficient planes while United takes a step back.

The 50 seaters have the most uncertain future among RJs and American is smart by keeping most of their 50 seat frames at their own companies.

American is adding new E175s at Envoy and used 700s at Skywest while old 200s leave the American system.

United screwed up by not paying Skywest more cheese to keep flying all the Expressjet E145s and Skywest 700s and they're paying for it now. Their product is taking a hit by shifting E145s from Expressjet to TSA and Comutair.

The future of American regional flying consists of more RJs operated by wholly owns which is smart considering the shortage of qualified and willing applicants and the better incentives wholly owns can offer.

The best thing United can do for it's RJ feed is start buying up regional airlines and offering the best flow through programs and overall pay. Their interview program and deal with Wisconsin is a step in the right direction but not enough.
I disagree. AA adding large RJ flying is not good for pilots. I also think in a few years, straight flow programs are going to be in trouble and may even see a push from management for metering. There just aren't enough new pilots out there to fill the seats and not everyone is interested in working for an AA WO.

I don't think adding 50 seat flying to UA is the right thing to do when your former WO is dying, but I'm glad there are pilots out there not having to find work.