View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 11:10 PM
GeeWizDriver
Speed, Power, Accuracy

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: PIC

Originally Posted by G550Guy View Post
NetJets is an excellent place to go and retire a second time if you are 60+ and just want to fly til you die. My buddy said he had a 77 year old in his sovereign class last month.

If you need to get recurrent again or transition out of the Military it can also be a good move. I would go to NJ over a regional any day, unless I needed TPIC time.

DO NOT GO TO NETJETS IF YOU NEED TURBINE PIC TIME.

That being said.... I wouldn't bank on long term employment OR building a nice retirement as compared to what you can get with a 121 carrier.

With almost 13 years in... I left in Oct. and took the $158,000 in buyout money and went to UPS. To date, we have hired 6 NJ pilots and more are interviewing.

Companies like mine see the value in NetJets pilots because they work their @ss off doing EVERYTHING plus flying the plane. It's also a Part 121 training program which means they are familiar with the books and flows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How's Brown treating you amigo? Some of us miss the Wild Man!

As for the topic at hand, I have golden handcuffs. Not enough years left to make up the initial pay cut until reaching pay parity. If I were 5 years younger, I might have thought harder about making the move although I never really wanted the airline "life."

If career earnings is the goal and you're a youngster (under 40 is a youngster to me - it's official, I've become my Dad), go to a regional that upgrades quickly, take their bonus check for showing up, fly maximum lines, keep your nose clean and pound the resumes out to the usual suspects. Get to a major and enjoy the ride.

If quality of life is the goal, find a nice, laid-back, 2-3 airplane corporate flight department that flies 250 hours a year and lets you take your golf clubs (you know, a unicorn).

If pain is your goal and you enjoy a routine of 5 legs a day, 12 hour duty days, humping bags, cleaning up after Lovey and Thurston, cramming yourself into a micro-jet cockpit, middle seat airlines 50 times a year, and a box of chocolates every day for 7 days straight, by all means apply to NetJets.

I'm lucky enough to be in a fleet that doesn't get abused...much. The poor bastards in the Phlegm? I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Well, except the Shrub.