Thread: A350 orders
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2017, 07:16 AM
robthree
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: 777, sofa

Originally Posted by rp2pilot View Post
How much in pay are you willing to give up for these improvements? As you probably know, every aspect of a potential contract is cost analyzed during negotiations by both ALPA and the company and then negotiated relative to the total proposed value of the new contract. Do you think downtown layovers for >14:00 have no monetary value? So, that said, what percentage of pay are you willing to forgo for said improvements.. Give me a number.
Give up pay? Nobody is talking about giving up pay. No one should be thinking about giving up pay. Giving up pay is not on the table. The next contract will have base pay rate increases. But work rules improvements are always more important than simple hourly rate changes.

You're right that everything has a monetary value, so how much will these changes COST the company? That's the only number we should even be thinking about. Much less discussing on an an anonymous message board.

Reserve improvements are important to me not because I'm on reserve, but because I was and conditions could have been better, without adversely affecting reliability. One day I probably will be on reserve again, and even if I'm not, somebody has to be on reserve everyday, and I don't want their QOL to suck.

Just like everyone who suffered through abysmal first year pay, or not having medical coverage on Day 1 decided that those were unacceptable conditions for those who came after them to endure, despite the fact that fixing those issues cost money from other parts of the contract, like WB Captain pay rates. So if improvements in reserve rules cost a couple cents from my base rate raise on the next contract, I'm ok with that.