View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 04:49 AM
A319
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2014
Position: Airbus Captain

Originally Posted by AncientAliens View Post
THIS!

Delta, Southwest, and Hawaiian (if they ratify) all got significant retro. From what I've heard on the line I don't think our NC has made it a high priority. I hope that changes as negotiations drag on. The company needs to know there are consequences for their bad behavior with concern to the current and future contracts.
Bad behavior? Exactly what bad behavior has the company engaged in? Our current contract was negotiated and agreed on by the pilot group and wasn't amendable until 3-17, which is now.

I think people here confuse "bad behavior," with the company simply following the contract, that was agreed on by the pilot group. (I will say I know not everyone thinks the company follows the contract, but I think a lot of the people here who have these issues bring it on themselves. I am a line holding Captain and I have never once had the contract violated by the company.) There is never an excuse for the company to not follow the contract, and that's why we have a grievance process in place.

People at this airline forget that WE agreed to our work rules that are currently in place. Are some of them outdated? Yes. Do some of them need to be changed? Yes, but I am frankly tired of hearing about it.

I get asked by practically every FO I fly with about the contract, and I always say the same thing. Logically, a new contract will happen. This is the business we are in. The company is just doing what any good management team does when negotiating with their employees, this is part of the game. A "good" management group wants to make money, no airline, or any other company is in it for employee charity, they are in it to make money. Simple capitalism. I thought most pilots were republicans? Which, in my opinion, is in itself an oxymoron, being so pro-labor, but belonging to a group who is notoriously anti-labor. But, that's a different post entirely.

It's all pretty simple honestly, we will get a new contract and we will get a raise. Great. Let's move on.