View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 08:50 AM
Jetalc
Pro Button Pusher

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: A320 Series CA

Originally Posted by SeaRider View Post
Perhaps you can expand on this? I hear this attitude frequently from CA's on the line which worries me. Exactly WHY should we NOT get paid what Delta does? Usually, the answers I get are related to our ULCC business model. The model that upper management has chosen to make the highest profits they can is of absolutely no concern to me. If they could make more with First Class and all the perks, they'd do it.

The ULCC business model incorporates cost reductions where they can control it. Mostly, it is limited investment in infrastructure, and higher density seating at the cost of pax comfort. But they cannot control some basic airline business costs. They do not purchase main landing tires, for example, for a discount on account of being a ULCC. We don't get a discount on fuel because we're a ULCC. Pilots here need to adopt the mindset that they do not get discounted pilots either. We are as much a cost of doing business as fuel and tires.

We fly A321's with more pax than industry 757's. We need to be paid industry standard wages for the airframes we fly. I think we work harder than Delta Pilots. Our lack of investment in infrastructure and ground handling means we have to be ultra alert, and are regularly catching mistakes that could lead to FAA violations. The regularity of passenger disturbances puts plenty at risk as well, and we're generally not getting paid when these events occur.

How management makes the money behind our paychecks is their job, and they're doing that fairly well when you consider our astronomically high profit margins. I personally have no intentions of giving Franke a discount on my labor for any reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amen, Searider. Couldn't agree more. I think it's part of the "little ol' Frontier" attitude that has led to that sentiment. And management is exploiting that attitude on our backs. We have always been the underdog, and some have resigned that there is no way to achieve the higher rates that we deserve.

Very eloquently stated.