dlevanchuk , 09-16-2007 07:36 PM
Line Holder
dlevanchuk
Line Holder
close
  • Joined APC
    Jun 2007
thanks guys!!

did my flight last night (had to delay for a week..)

was doing pattern work at local airport KRNT (renton, wa). becomes uncontrolled at 9pm.

we took off around 8:30 did couple touch and goes with landing light and airport lights. did pretty well i think, my instructor was impressed. then he decided to do couple of landings with no landing light, side runway light. struggled the first couple landings, but got good flare on 3rd landings.

when airport became uncontrolled my instructor decided to shut down runway lights (5 flicks on the mic), and no landing light... now THAT was horrible :-D

i could not figure out where the runway was, and just decided to go with 50 feet to the right off VASI lights (landing on 15). i knew that the elevation is about 50 feet MSL, so i was trying to figure out how to land by altimeter, but it was waaaay more difficult than i imagined (especially on my very first landing). my body was freaking out too, feeling like I was turning, but turn coordinator showed that I was flying straight.

anyways. great tips guys! would have suffered that night with out all of these suggestions and tips!