View Single Post
Old 09-16-2007, 08:06 PM
Slice
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Spartan

Originally Posted by MikeB525 View Post
Hi all,

Ok, so today I completed my provate glider checkride at Somerset airport (KSMQ) in New Jersey. I need to ask some air traffic controllers and NYC area airline pilots about the airspace and routing of jetliners through the area of Solberg (SBJ) VOR.

KSMQ and SBJ are outside the NY Class B. About 5 miles east starts the Class B, 3000 to 7000. We know SBJ is an waypoint on the approach sequence for aircraft arriving from the south and west, and aircraft making the westbound turn after departing EWR frequently come near.

But we've noticed jetliners coming very low over the area of SBJ, sometimes as little as 3000 going into EWR. Does anybody know why jetliners are being vectored so low outside the Class B? Hows does ATC decide how low to bring the aircraft, and how fast to fly them? I know one reason is because RJ's will often land 11 at EWR, and will come over SBJ at about 3000 to join final.

We recently had a vistor to the glider operation whose a captain at XJet. He says when they come through that area they're totally heads down and not paying a bit of attention out the windows.

Can anyone offer any insight? In general, for you pilots that are EWR/LGA/JFK based, or operate at those airports very frequently, please be aware of glider ops 5000 and below INVOF SBJ on weekends and occasionaly weekday evenings.

Thanks guys. We're constantly looking for you while we're thermalling. Fly safe.
It can be busy in the terminal area and both pilots won't have time constantly look outside the entire time. While a glider technically has the right of way, physics and the 'rule of tonnage' apply. You'll probably lose the battle between a Schweitzer and a 737 or RJ. A transponder would help thru TCAS...but I understand it's unlikely.