View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 08:09 AM
rthompsonjr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Former Lear F/O
Default Looking for advice

I've always been in love with flying my entire life and up until my senior year in high school was on track for a NROTC scholarship with the intent of being a naval aviator. Fast forward seven years and I am now 25, at a fast paced flight school and still thinking about the military. I'll be finished here in March and have my Private, Instrument, Multi, Single and Multi Comms, and CFI/CFII/MEI. I have my four year degree with a 3.0 GPA and no run-ins with the law ever. I was a team captain in high school and a 4H leader during college.

Let me say that I'm not interested in the military for time building, or for a free ride to wings, but to do something more important than flying an large air taxi. I also think I need something more challenging, even at this fast paced school, I'm still bored. (plus having C-17s, C-130s, AV-8s, F/A-18s and T-38s stopping by the ramp all the time doesn't hurt either)

So finally my questions:

How long does the application process take?

I have a 1st class medical, is that pretty much the same standards I'd have to meet for the military? Do I need to provide them with a copy of my medical records? (I've had 4 different insurances in the past 4 years so that could take a while to get it all)

With my GPA will I still be competitive?

Is it better to try for a USAFR, ANG or Active Service slot?

Are things bad enough in the military right now I'm crazy for even thinking about this?

Thanks for your time and input.