View Single Post
Old 03-16-2017, 12:48 PM
snackysmores
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014
Position: fatigued

Originally Posted by WSPLT View Post
It is NOT a forgiving aircraft. It's certainly not impossible to fly, but I think one would benefit GREATLY from being able to learn its quirks and how to handle them before being dropped into the left seat and suddenly being tasked with things such as hand flying a CAT III ILS. .
Reminds me of AQP last year when they dropped us into a CAT III with an out of control engine fire and bad vectoring by ATC. On mine we also got an approach warning for seemingly no reason (solution? Mash the approach button on the AFCS panel until it kicks back in lol..) Without the knowledge of the gotchas and quirks I don't see how a new captain with zero time in type is gonna pass training. It's not impossible clearly, but the failure rate is going to get attention from the feds no doubt.

The Horizon Air Q400 program is heavily over-proceduralized (new word) and it makes the 6 leg days a nightmare. Consider the E175. The Before Start checklist has what..6-8 items? The Q400 has 32, and every time one crew messes up on the line they add a new one.