Old 09-18-2007, 08:02 AM
MobiusOne
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2007

Originally Posted by Spartan07 View Post

Absolutely loving every minute of it!

So why did you stop attending Spartan after you received your private?

P.S - Feel free to PM me so we don't derail the thread

Well, I'm glad your enjoying it so far. I actually initially enjoyed my time that I spent at Spartan. Tulsa Oklahoma was a pretty cool little place, real healthy living and I wish I hooked up with some more of the local hotties running at the Six Flags over Jesus campus, (Oral Roberts University)

That being said, the reason why I didn't continue Spartan was because they had actually U'd me out of the school for a two week absence. I was finishing up with my PPL rating when I had to leave for my two week reserve AT commitment. I left with my unit, and when I returned they had dismissed me out of the school for not attending, and wanted another 2000 up front for me to re-enroll. Of course, they justified it because they said two weeks was the maximum you could be gone before you had to have LOA (leave of absence) paperwork filled out. They never bothered to tell me that when I left however as they assumed I would only be gone for two weeks. Well, when I showed up three weeks later ready to get back into classes, they told me that I was dismissed from the school. Of course, I tried to fight this but I was only 19 at the time, and theres only so much a 19 year old could do. Thankfully, I had the minimums for the PPL so I was able to test with the FAA examiner with a plane I was able to rent on my own coin and get my rating that way.

Was I ****ed at the time? Yes. My parents were ****ed also as it turned into a huge ass fiasco because they couldn't understand why I was making straight A's in all my courses yet I still got kicked out. However, it worked out for the best because I wound up getting deployed a semester later with the military and I spent the next year and a half in Afghanistan.

Student housing was also a nightmare. I'm not sure if they are still doing the Brown & Brown thing, but when I was there it would be nothing to be sitting at your table studying your books and then have one of the Brown Associates knock on your door and drop a letter telling you that you needed to move within three days because they were consolidating the housing. In the nine months I lived there I had to move four times, three due to consolidation and once due to roommate issues. It was the norm for guys to just rent there own apartment on their own coin.

As crappy as the Spartan experience was, ultimately everything worked out. After I got back from overseas I spent another semester at the University of Houston pursuing psychology, then I decided to give the piloting thing one more shot. I went to the program at San Jac and have had nothing but success with them.

Also, here's something you might want to check into. When I went into the San Jac program, none of my academic credits would transfer in from Spartan. Apparently they have problems with accreditation and they tend to slip in and out of status throughout the years. In the time period that I went, (2001-2002) they had slipped out of accreditation so the courses are not worth the paper they were written on. Not a good feeling to be told at 600 dollars per class. If your doing the Associates degree program through them, you might want to seriously look into this. I know their two year program is crazy money, (like 40K-60K) and it would suck if they gave you a Associates degree that wouldn't be transferable.

Other then that, and the fact that most girls over there had absolutely no issues with interrogating you and asking if you accepted Jesus and your lord and savior within 5 minutes of introducing yourself, Tulsa wasn't a bad experience. For a 19 year old living away from home for the first time, it didn't get any better then that.

But Spartan... yeah. If that two week military fiasco hadn't of happened, then I would have probably gone through the program in their entirety and god only knows where I would be now. Makes me wonder.