View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 07:33 AM
mainlineAF
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2016
Position: 6th place

Originally Posted by WhiskeyDelta View Post
I don't post this to start a ****ing match. Just wanting to add the reasoning/advantages behind an older fleet.

Delta may have the oldest fleet of the legacies, but we have the highest reliability and the lowest maintenance cost unit compared to the others. Oldest doesn't mean squat when the interiors are refurbed to look brand new. If you don't believe me, look at the comments from our CFO recently to counter Parker's alleging AA is catching up on the revenue side. Older aircraft would be best in an economic downturn as they can be parked with practically no cost (paid for) versus delaying or even cancelling orders. Or they could be parted out thus reducing overall maintenance costs further to maintain the exist fleet. There are many advantages to having an older fleet and as long as we maintain our strong financial and operational performances I don't see why we should upset the apple cart.

The latest from the company is all 88s will be gone by 2020. Our C-series order can be converted to the -300 model after the first 35 -100s come online. The -300 is an 88 replacement. We got a ridiculous deal on this first batch from Bombardier apparently. The only thing that remains to be seen is their operational reliability. If they prove their worth, I see another big follow-on order and thus completing the retirements of the 90s and older, smaller Airbuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a gamble either way.