View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 10:14 AM
FTFF
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2014
Position: Retired from APC.

Originally Posted by J Dawg View Post
Atlanta might not be worried about losing Amazon volume, but they sure should be worried about losing non-Amazon volume.

Amazon might only be 4-10% of UPS's business, but area "B" alone in the photo below looks to be about the size of the SDF "Worldport". Anyone who thinks Amazon will not be going after other UPS/FedEx customers after building out all this infrastructure is in denial.

It's not denial. It's doubt in Amazon's realistic abilities to put the rest of the world out of business. As I've posted before, right now they have little competition. That is changing. Right now IIUC, Amazon isn't participating in logistics, supply chain solutions, or the whole list of other related industry segments which Purple and brown operate in. To steal that business isn't like selling shower curtain rings. The technical/ complex sales cycle is long, complicated, and expensive and they are going to have a very tough uphill battle against established and proven companies (who can also offer better pricing to keep competition at bay). As fellow airline pilots you should be looking at this with as much disdain as the ME3 / flag of convenience issues given Bezos' passion for automation and disinterest in employee welfare. But I guess a few of you opportunists stand to benefit so I can understand the excitement of it all.