View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 12:51 PM
GeeWizDriver
Speed, Power, Accuracy

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: PIC

Originally Posted by Out West View Post
Though I'm almost positive this is buried somewhere within this forum, the search function is atrocious and doesn't turn up anything.

How does fractional basing/domicile/home/etc. work? If it is company dependent, let's call it NetJets for sake of argument. I hear the term home basing (within and outside of the fractional business) but I do not think that term means what I think it means.

For example - NJ lists what, 40+ domiciles on their APC profile? Something tells me there isn't enough traffic with NJ in/out of Medford, OR to drive it being a domicile.

So how does it work? What's the time allowed to commute when you're "on?" Is it actually feasible to live basically anywhere, or is that a shiny version of a very different story in practice?

Cheers
Can't speak for the others, but NetJets has a fairly decent basing system.

There is a list of roughly 100 cities that a new hire can choose from as their "base."

Various criteria apply regarding frequency of airline service and proximity to major hubs. These criteria can cause a base to sometimes be closed (BLI is currently on the chopping block, a class action grievance has been filed). Your choice of base can affect whether you will get paid overtime for travel to and from work. Your choice can also impact what schedules you can bid.

The company will provide travel to and from the airplane they want you to fly whether by airline, taxi, limo, or rental car on the first day of your tour and then return you home on the last day. In other words, you commute on their time, not your own.

You can actually change your base with 15 days notice and there is a mechanism called "dummy ticketing" that will allow you to go someplace other than your base on your last day and the company will defray a portion of your ticket expense.

It can get a little screwy with some of the details but those are the broad strokes. If you're willing to drive an hour or two, there are very few places completely off the table.