View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 12:37 PM
7thgear
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2007

Hey guys,

I am the OP. So, 6 months after starting this thread and I am still thinking about making the career change. I take that as a sign that I should just do it. Everywhere I read on this forum people are saying this is the best time to get into the aviation industry. I have come up with a very loose and simple plan and would like to ask for your evaluation of it before I get started.

I have two flight schools near me. I am planning on choosing one of them to do the IR and CPL ratings, and likely the CFI as well. Both are part 61 programs and I could do them in my spare time while holding down my full time job. Once I get the CFI I plan to get in touch with Piedmont since they seem to have the best deal going right now for low time Pilots. I could get hired with them with less than 500 hours as a CFI and become a cadet instructor. They give you $500 for every 100 hours you build until you are at 1500 hours. The total they will give you is $5000. At that point they hire you with no additional interview and put you through an ATP-CPL course at their expense. From there on out you are making $60k to start and are in a flow program to the majors.

What do you guys think? Seems like I could become a first officer for them in about 2 years if I get started within the next few weeks.