View Single Post
Old 03-26-2017, 04:50 AM
Tailhook85
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by PSA help View Post
The "formula" is 10 pilots per aircraft. So 350 for the additional 35 airplanes.

We are losing about 30 a month.

Washout rate is MUCH lower than 30%. Most of the people leaving are doing so before they even get to the sims. Some are the career changers that realize that they don't really want to be an airline pilot, others are people that don't want to be away for so long. They are almost all the older guys, 50+ Years old. Also, the 30 that we are losing each month includes some of these guys.

Also, those upgrading are not leaving the company. They are still here and count as pilots.

We are hiring 50+ a month. We are losing a total of 30, plus a few early training washouts that never even make it to a seniority list. So, we have been growing by 10-15 pilots per month overall.

All in all, the company keeps saying that they want to be at 2000-2200 pilots. Not sure I believe it, and I doubt we will ever get higher than 1800. We are at 1300 right now.

I have been here 3 years and have been moving up ~10 spots per month. I know a lot of guys junior to me are leaving as well. Expect to move up 20+ a month in your first year. Senior captains that are 2 months away from flow are leaving for Delta and FedEx and not taking the flow, thus letting other people take those slots.

Attrition will continue to rise.

Reserve time in every base is really low. You can be a line holding captain here in 3 years.

FO reserve is almost non-existent in almost every base. Maybe 1 month on reserve and then holding a line of some sort.
So why don't the old guys hang? I'm one of those starting training next month.