Thread: United training
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 06:26 AM
cactusdog16
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: 737 Capt

Originally Posted by SKMarz View Post
The practice of UAL not paying for a hotel during training has been in place since at least 99', it is not a new policy. Some folks get hooked up in a crash pad or rent a room to keep the cost in check.

On the other hand, the pay scale is pretty dismal and you can look at the post 9/11 (translation: bankruptcy) era for that added insult to injury. No signs of it getting better any time soon.

Having said that, UAL is still better than a lot of non-majors out there. Got to find that out for myself while I was furloughed for two years.

Couldn't agree with you more, SKMarz. I paid for my own accommodations in '97 too - shared a 2 bedroom apartment with a new-hire classmate. I also provided for my own accommodations when hired with a commuter back in the day - so it's not a practice that's unique to United. The airlines do it because they can.

Back when I was flight instructing and looking for a commuter job, most places required that you pay for your own training as well - usually 10 grand or more. Now THAT I couldn't afford! Paying for my own room in training seemed like a pretty good trade-off to me!