Thread: Embry Riddle
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 03:04 PM
Steve McCroskey
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2014
Position: Either seat can be warmed for adequate pay

Skip to last paragraph for answer to OP.

Colleges are great if you want to get to the airlines. I did my Private (part 61) during my senior year in HS, Instrument and Commercial (part 141) at a college I got a degree in Aviation Management at, Multi engine add-on (Part 61) at ATP just to see what they were like (possible CFI job), CFI, CFII, MEI (Part 61) at a university (Part 141 program) I decided I wanted to work for and showed my dedicate. I got the offer, taught for about 900 hours (Needed 1250 to get to the airlines, went to a regional for about 6 months and decided I didn't want to have to pay to go to work flying a CRJ (that was when $21/hour was "great" first year pay 3 years ago). Now I'm flying here and there and working on my A&P at a community college.

Anyways, long story but I just wanted to show my background in both sides of the spectrum (61 vs 141).

I would highly recommend getting your Private Pilot's license now in high school. You will save money by not having to pay tuition for ground school in college and skip almost have a semester in college (I took a lot of AP classes and got my Private license and skipped 1.5 years of college).
**Make sure the college you want to attend accepts your Private License as credit for both the flight and ground classes/labs!***
Go to college and get as many of your ratings as you can while earning your degree. Consider non-aviation or at least aviation management to have something to fall back on if you lose your medical (I should have gone for something in engineering but oh well). You should be able to teach at the school once you get your CFI, maybe even before you graduate, and you will be set for the regionals, but hopefully the mainlines will absorb them by that time and we will have no more "B" scale for flying 100 people around instead of 110 like the "real" pilots do.

Last advice is to have fun flying! Another reason I got out of the airlines was most pilots didn't enjoy the flying so much and I didn't want to have my passion for flying disappear like theirs (not to say everyone in the airlines are like that).