View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 07:09 PM
snackysmores
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014
Position: fatigued

Originally Posted by cactusflyer View Post
We should start hiring into the jet at some point in the next month or so, but I have no clue beyond that.

Reserve time on the Q depends completely on what base you're in, and how many new pilots we're failing to attract. At some of the smaller bases (GEG, BOI, MFR), you can probably get a line within a couple of months, but PDX and SEA can be somewhere past 12 months of reserve.

Upgrade times had been just under the three year mark on the Q (again, for the junior bases), but we've recently parked two airplanes and cancelled some upgrade classes, so I'm not completely sure where the upgrade time sits right now.
I believe the jet new hire classes are spoken for, at least for the rest of the year but I could be wrong. I can't see us taking any more deliveries after the 3rd jet due to Q400 staffing.

As much as I hate to say it, Skywest could very likely get the remaining 10. From a management perspective, it's probably cheaper to give away E175s than to park Q400s and displace crews into the jet costing thousands in new type ratings.

I bet talks are underway now to make that happen. Management will naturally blame the pilots, and release some statement that this will 'position us for growth' in the future.