Old 03-28-2017, 09:47 PM
BeatNavy
Covfefe

Joined APC: Jun 2015

Originally Posted by tattooguy21 View Post
To the OP, I logged exactly what I logged per the 95-1, when I lift off in my helicopter until either 1) crew change (if I get out) or 2) engine shutdown.

So yeah, we get cheated out of a .2-.3 per flight because we don't play the blocks out-blocks in game.

That being said, I've spoken with two airlines that said, as necessary, they have their own "conversion" to recoup that time.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
For the Army helo dudes, AR 95-1 and the FAA have pretty much the same regs for logging time, so you (we) aren't shortchanged like the AF FW guys are who only log wheels up to wheels down plus a small fixed amount for taxi. AR95-1 for helos uses breaking skids until engine shutdown. FAA is "...when an aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing." So technically, you can log more liberally in the army if you sit there for 10 or 20 minutes before shutting your engine down. And I knew guys who "used a hobbs meter" and logged engine start to engine shut down in the Army. Army FW time is "takeoff roll to engines off" so they may miss taxi time on the front side. For the wheeled helo types, I've never seen a ground taxi that didn't have some sort of wheels up within the first minute or two as part of the taxi, so I don't think there is that much shortchanging going on in that regard either. Also, the Army's scale (below) for logging decimal time is more liberal than a straight conversion, so there are a few minutes added to your time in that regard as well vs civilian.

1-6 Min = .1
7-12 min = .2
13-18 min = .3
19-24 min = .4
25-30 min = .5
31-36 min = .6
37 -42min = .7
43-48 min = .8
49-54 min = .9
55-60 min = 1.0

The "unfairness" is that civilians usually use a hobbs meter, which is what rental rates go off of, which are usually ticking anytime the engine is on. That doesn't jive with the FAA's definition of logging time, but it is an accepted practice, as is using block time in the airlines, which is (depending on how the ACARS/acft is set up) door close/brake drop until door open. Airline block time is different than loggable flight time per the FAA's definition, but no one cares, and the FAA rest rules, which are predicated on "flight time" use block time for computations. Sometimes I push and have to wait 5-10 minutes before taxi, but by definition I shouldn't start logging time until the aircraft moves under its own power. That never happens.

The bottom line is use what you have logged in the system in which you have it logged. No one cares, and, at least on the army rw side, it's all a wash anyway for the aforementioned reasons. But if there is a discrepancy between your 759 and your logbooks with your own conversion, that will draw attention. On some apps, there is instruction to add a conversion for mil time. But, based on the definitions of logging flight time by the FAA/95-1, I've never done it or needed to do it to change my competitiveness. And it wouldn't have changed anything anyway. If I was a mil FW dude, I maybe would have added a conversion depending on the app and my times.