View Single Post
Old 04-02-2017, 03:54 AM
JesuitValen
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2016

Originally Posted by WhiskeyKilo View Post
When I was on the 200 I was taught to deselect the ground power switch prior to it being plugged in or removed because it had the potential to short out. Makes perfect sense with the amount of power being applied. When I moved to the 900 almost every pilot has said to leave the switch in because the 900 does not have the same "problem" as the 200.

I'm on the side of the MX guys here. If ground power is applied to the aircraft the switch should be deselected until you are ready to use it. I've ran into so many issues with bad ground power that causes the computers to go nuts and random stuff starts failing; and just like magic, if you power cycle the airplane it's fixed.
The 900 has left that switch in since 07 when I started flying them. Some of the older mesaba guys can speak to the 200 in msp i would think.

If this procedure is so awful for the plane and the ramp crew, then you should have no problem proving it on historical data.

Furthermore, as an ex rampie, the plug is attached and THEN power is added. While the giant isolated plug covered in rubber is worked in and out of the plane sometimes by a careless rampie or two with power applied, theres little chance of that AC power arcing to hands.

Is it possible Pinnacle guys made something up and DTW MX guys on here are simply echoing it because they fail to remember the jetbridge supplied powercarts are garbage? No other airport in the country has been able to fry a crj like the worthless airport authority provided external AC.

I like the 480VAC story though, can we get more of those tall tales in the future?