View Single Post
Old 04-03-2017, 10:46 AM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by Lagoon View Post
Are there certain features some of you feel you must have on your watch as pilots?

Right now I'm working on my instrument rating and transitioning from Private I find that dual time display, compass, altimeter and barometer could be helpful, especially dual time (Zulu). The same goes for a stopwatch counter (both up and down).

Can you think of any other features that would be helpful as backup for someone who's flying a six pack 172?

I still have my ipad, but just in case, it's nice have something on your wrist for quick reference or for redundancy for some of the instruments.
First....Altimeter on a watch? I'm not sure how that would work out. If there even is such a thing, are you really going to trust your life to a watch altimeter in IMC? Same thing with the compass. An uncorrected watch compass probably isn't going to do much for you. Probably better off with a GPS unit which is probably more accurate anyway. Finally, 30 years of flying and I've yet to say to myself while airborne, "Damn, if only I had a barometer right now all would be right in my world". 'Nuf said there.

I've done a lot of single pilot IMC work and using a watch for instrument timing isn't always the best option. Often times, you sort of need both hands to get the watch into the mode desired and then start the timing. You have to get your non-watch hand to your watch while looking at the display to change modes which usually means you have to raise your watch hand up to your eyes. Taking both hands off the controls while IMC doesn't always work very well. Having a push button timer on the instrument panel that can be easily operated with one hand and one push, is visible and easy to read with a glance is a much better option than a watch, IMO.

If you're flying long distance between multiple time zones, have the ability to select whatever local time zone you're in is a great feature. I always change the hands on my watch to display the local time for wherever I am, but that's more personal choice. Obviously displaying easy access Zulu time is a must. No batteries is another big plus. Finally, accuracy and a light are both non-negotiable requirements.

I'm surprised this one doesn't get more props:
Citizen Citizen Eco-Drive Skyhawk A-T JY0000-53E Atomic Timekeeping

The perfect watch in my opinion. All world time zones. Zulu time in analog and digital (when selected). Hands can be changed to any time zone with a couple of button pushes. A light via push button as well as radiant analog hands. Auto time update nightly via radio signal worldwide including daylight savings. Go to bed and wake up with the hour time change automatically made for you while you sleep. "Eco-drive" charging via ambient light through the crystal, so never a battery required. Stop watch or countdown if you still decide you want to use them. I've had mine for 10 years with no problems. The time is always within less than a second of the GPS time displayed in my aircraft.

Ignore the $850 price on the link. You can usually find them online for less than $400. Highly recommend. Great value and performance for the price.