Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2017, 06:04 PM
AncientAliens
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2015

Originally Posted by Sluggo_63 View Post
Are you talking about the Starbucks worker or airline pilots and (more importantly) flight attendants? I don't know how the pay scale compares for a regional airline's flight attendant versus a Starbucks "barrista," but I'm thinking the FA has to be up at 3 am to deal with a bunch of cranky passengers and (s)he are trapped in a metal tube with them. Seems by your logic there should be a tip jar at the front galley.
I absolutely believe if a passenger feels a flight attendant is giving them good service they should feel free to tip. I worked at Starbucks during college, if someone threw something in the tip jar I would always politely say thank you. It felt good that somebody recognized we were working hard to get everyone caffeinated and on their way as quickly as possible. When someone didn't tip I didn't notice, usually we were too busy doing something else.

I have never understood why some people are so touchy about tipping. If you want to tip, tip. If you don't, don't. It's not that big of a deal. Was checking into a hotel recently and my Captain was able to talk the front desk into free breakfast because we had to wait a couple minutes for our rooms. Met him for breakfast the next morning and I decided to throw the waitress a couple more bucks than would be customary considering our free meal. The guy I was with gave me a hard time for leaving extra. I guess he thought I was making him look cheap. I hadn't noticed how much he'd given because it's none of my business and I don't really care.

Getting back to the poster's point, I just don't really see why a tip jar is anything to write home about. No one is going to think any less of you if you don't tip, and if you do, that extra hundred dollars at the end of the month is a nice little bonus to someone who might be struggling to make rent or just wants to have a fun night out with their friends.