View Single Post
Old 04-06-2017, 08:46 AM
Wags808
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by FlyingStormie View Post
The problem is, if you don't wan't people looking like "hobos," you'll have to establish some sort of standard to determine what beards are acceptable and which are not.

Simply stating "neatly trimmed" wont work very well, because one person's "neatly trimmed" is another's "hobo." It's a lot easier, from a policy perspective, to just say no to any facial hair or, in some cases, allow for mustaches.

There are just to many variables involved and there are more pressing matters for the powers that be to address.
I fully understand what you mean, but I don't think it would be too hard. Saying there is a half- or one-inch limit would work well, seems pretty straightforward, and holds up a standard.

Perhaps over time the younger generation will be more accommodating, since they see professionals of all sorts with beards these days. I don't want to bring in the personal factor, but I'm training to be a pilot (I'm now in my thirties,) and I've have a very short, trimmed beard my entire adult life. Basically, I buzz my entire head at the #1 setting. I've held a professional position that entire time and have never been questioned about my appearance. It is a sacrifice I am more than willing to make, but I still find it random and unnecessary.

And the mustache thing is kind of funny, too, because I don't know how one could possibly argue they look more professional or respectable compared to a trimmed beard.

(On a different note I would argue being overweight could also go against the "professional standard," as well, but that's a whole different can of worms.)