View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 06:48 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by bluto13 View Post
I absolutely had to have a hard separation date at the interview, not sure if they wanted the DD214 once I got it and reported to training (I think they did). I could see a regional buying off on your plan, but not a major. Why would they? I would highly recommend trying to get to a fixed wing squadron as your helo time isn't going to count for much.
If this becomes a routine scam, then any airlines which don't already will start asking for DD-214's.

Unless the sabbatical involves actually retaining the member on AD, which would be legally impossible unless they want to grant him full pay and benefits, then this program would HAVE to involve a transfer to the reserves in some capacity.

That's the ONLY possible way they could ensure a return to AD at the end of the sabbatical. If he's not in the reserves, he's a civilian and the ONLY legal mechanism to compel a civilian to service is the Draft. They could sue a civilian to recoup bonuses, that's about it.

A transfer to the reserves would generate a DD-214 (by law), and there would almost certainly be a discrete separation code indicating the sabbatical...airline employers would learn real fast to start scrutinzing DD-214's. AC status, RC status, DD-214 issuance is all under title 10 so it's not stuff the services can just pencil-whip for their convenience.