View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 07:05 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by tbat15 View Post
Out of the box yes but I think you're going to start seeing more out of the box programs because it's obvious the current way of doing business is not working for the military or the airlines.
The military needs to make their career a viable prospect for people who aspire to have lives and families as opposed to assuming that all officers are seriously aspiring to four stars and joint staff or COCOM command. They need to allow different strokes for different folks.

The airlines need to stop assuming that the military will provide a large core cadre of highly qualified new-hire pilots. Military aircraft numbers are shrinking due to the use of fewer high-tech (expensive) platforms, and manned numbers are shrinking faster.

Originally Posted by tbat15 View Post
In fact, reading a article about the Air Force considering a program such as this is what spurred me to do some research in the first place. They are proposing to allow a guy to leave service for a period of time to obtain a seniority number and then return to their military career. Win win for everyone involved.
Like I said, if this becomes common practice airlines (and unions!) will figure out how to push back on what is essentially a loophole in USERRA.

This practice does not benefit the airlines unless the timing is such that they have a surplus of pilots now but know they'll have a serious shortage in X number of years when they get you back. Hypothetically they might benefit from having you on the hook for later. But that's pretty hypothetical...they need pilots NOW not in ten years (well maybe then too).