View Single Post
Old 04-09-2017, 08:07 AM
GogglesPisano
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013
Position: On the hotel shuttle

Originally Posted by HeWhoRazethAll View Post
I know ASAP cannot be used against you if it's a sole source report. But how does that rule apply to OTHER ASAP reports?

Say you have a flight crew who lands without a clearance or incurs onto an active runway, or fails to level off before localizer intercept. They obviously file ASAPs. Tower never noticed the problem, or at least didn't report it. So far, this instance would be sole-source.

However, one of the pilots cites the other's "failure to adhere to sterile cockpit procedures", or "co-pilot's failure to properly complete checklist", or "pilot monitoring did not write down runway crossing instructions" or "captain distracted sight-seeing" as a contributing factor. Could that pilot's ASAP be used against the other pilot in company discipline (I'm sure the FAA couldn't touch them)?

A guy I know filed an ASAP for a pretty major issue. It was a failure on the PICs part (failed to brief departure, failed to complete before-takeoff-check), resulted in a screaming controller and all manner of vectoring. He filed because as part of the crew, he should've spoken up to the unsafe situation. He was hesitant to say "captain failed to blah blah blah" but at the same time, he didn't want to unintentionally assume the blame himself.
If you fill out an ASAP you're covered (unless it's one of the deadly sins: Intentional Falsification, Disregard ...) Most forms ask what you would have done differently to prevent the event in the future.

In general, it's not good form to narc on a colleague. Be honest, take your share of the blame. But don't write a novel. Be concise.