Thread: Mesa 3.0
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2017, 03:00 PM
deltajuliet
Living the Dream

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by BeatNavy View Post
Equipping the planes makes it tough to update the iPads. JB gives us all iPad air 2s and we have about 20 custom apps (in our own app store, not in the apple app store) on it. We have our own version of Jepp FD, WSI for weather, and my mobile 365 for all pubs and training. I like the way these are managed for the most part. We can also put our own stuff on it and it is no big deal. I still carry the iPad I had at Mesa on some trips and/or a laptop for various reasons. I kind of wish JB would just give us $500 for an iPad every few years and have it be our own and not monitored by them, but with as much crap as we have on it, it needs to be managed by them.
That seems to be what the majority of carriers are doing. Not that updating is a huge deal, but it would be cool not to worry about it and let mechanics check them every 72 hour or something. Still, you're right, it is nice having it on overnights to read, email, or watch Netflix.

If Mesa is giving new hires $500 for iPads, they should just give everyone $500 for ipads every 3-5 years. Or do a $100 per year iPad replacement payment. Or just give every pilot an iPad in a bulk buy. Lose it or break it...its on you. But at least in that case they gave you one that works and will be supported until the next one comes out. Wouldn't cost that much money. But, that's Mesa for you.
Bingo, agree wholeheartedly.

Originally Posted by Sniper66 View Post
Stay where you are as a captain because the pile of apps the computer selects most of future pilots is the current qualified 121 Captains ( always some special cases of FOs)
BTW
61 percent from regionals most current 121 Captains , 30 percent military, 5 percent corporate and 4 percent others

Your choice which percentage group you want to be if you want to work for Delta or UAL as per ALPA records for 2016 new hires given by HR to ALPA
Interesting, thanks for the tidbit. I wonder how much of it is less overall pilots at LCC's vs a preference for regionals since legacies might be afraid of cannibalizing their own feed. Or maybe they prefer poaching from the competitors'. Hard to say. Nonetheless, thanks for the statistics. While we're at it, recently came across these AA hiring stats. Still not looking good for OTS civilians.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
-1.jpg (42.2 KB, 226 views)