View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 10:48 PM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
If you really are a working
mechanic, you know that the FAA recently required us to apply for a new plastic certificate for security of our SSN and so they could track who is active.
If? No, I am a long-time working mechanic and pilot.

Recently? No, not recently. The rule came into place in 2008, and mechanics were given until 2013.

A significant drop would be expected if only working mechanics are suddenly being counted.
How would the FAA know if a mechanic were a "working mechanic?" The FAA doesn't track "working mechanics," and has no way to know if a mechanic is working, or if a mechanic certificate holder is utilizing his or her mechanic certificate.

I work frequently with a mechanic who has been a practicing, active working mechanic for many years. He does not presently hold a mechanic certificate. He does excellent work, and excels at sheet metal. He does good engine work, electrical, hydraulic, and is a great troubleshooter. He doesn't require a mechanic certificate presently, and doesn't hold one, though he has in the past and is very active. He won't show up on your statistics.

I've worked with many mechanics in repair stations who did not hold airframe or powerplant ratings, yet were full time, working mechanics. No way for the FAA to count them, either. Non-rated mechanics are not uncommon in repair stations. Or hangars or shops.

You seem to make the assumption that those who obtained a plastic certificate were working as mechanics, which is a ridiculous assumption.

There have always been more pro pilots than mechanics at any airline, even when all MX was performed in house.
Now you're counting only airlines? That's one segment of aviation. Just one.

You've got statistics on pilot and mechanic numbers at any given airline?

Im sure others have noticed the big empty hangars around Dallas. I counted 19 empty bays that were full a decade ago.
You're basing your incorrect, unequivocal statements on local observations? You're aware that there are new facilities in some places, while others fall into disuse?

No one becomes a mechanic for fun anymore than anyone would get an ATP rating just for the hell of it.
Both statements are untrue. Many obtain mechanic certification with no intention of every working professionally as an aircraft mechanic.

A number of people obtain the ATP without needing it or without intending to go on to fly in a role requiring the ATP. Some do it for the challenge. Some do it to add on another rating to their existing rating. I know quite a few people who hold mechanic certificates with the intent of doing no more than working on their own aircraft, and I know many who obtained mechanic certification prior to leaving the military and who do not work in aviation maintenance.

The fact that wages are still flat for A&Ps indicate a condition of oversupply.
No, it really doesn't. I certainly have no trouble obtaining maintenance work, because there is plenty.

I do maintenance not only because it provides income, but also because I like doing it. If I didn't, I wouldn't do it. It's fun. Go figure.

Johnburke, you are a busy man. You seem to have more knowledge and experience than most guys could accumulate in three lifetimes.
I hold five FAA certificates. I use them. Sue me.