Thread: ATP practical
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2017, 04:41 AM
MikeF16
Otto

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: Turkish Pile Driver

Originally Posted by JTwift View Post
I got my ATP before the rule change and I couldn't agree more even then. My C-130 checkrides and annual sim refresher training were far more involved than my 8 hours (including check) in a Seminole that I'll likely never step foot in again.
Oddly enough, my light twin check ride was extremely involved. I had the misfortune of signing up for a program that until about 1 month prior had been a 'pay the fee, get the degree' kind of place (as it should be). They got busted by the FAA, the primary examiner lost his credentials, and were under major scrutiny. I had a full-up ground eval along the lines of 'ok, you're a molecule of hydraulic fluid, explain the landing gear system...' Awesome, I can now built this POS twin that flies like a dump truck, that I will never fly again. I guess light twins get some kind of harmonic going if you don't get the RPMs just right. Of course with my 3 hours of practice I was like the new student who lets the ATIS run for 10 minutes straight but never hears it. My examiner is in my crap because I'm not fixing it and all I can think is who friggin cares?