View Single Post
Old 04-13-2017, 09:34 AM
tom11011
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013

Originally Posted by Andy View Post
So, Mr legal expert/Allegiant Air employee, would you please enlighten those of us who haven't gotten the memo yet ... what is United's new SOP going to be WRT this situation that occurs multiple times each day at many United boarding gates in the system? We have >85% domestic loads for 1Q2017.

A simple way to fix this? Raise fares. Obviously the travelling public values their flights at a price of greater than $800 for a flight as short as ORD-SDF.
Off the top of my head-

The first thing that comes to mind is once the doctor refused to leave, the entire airplane should have been deplaned. United has a duty to protect the other passengers as well. Then once this doctor saw the airplane wasn't going to depart, he may have just chose to leave voluntarily.

The second thing that comes to mind is once a person is boarded, they are boarded. How do you deny boarding to someone who has boarded.

The third thing is to continue to raise compensation levels to a level where somebody decides it makes sense to take the money and leave. This is fair, it gives the opportunity for the company to decide to compensate a very high dollar amount, or choose to not oversell (not in this case), or choose to deadhead a crew on a different flight. Everybody has options in this case. I just read that some passenger on Delta recently was compensated $12,000 for electing to skip a series of flights.

Fourth, don't oversell flights. Not all airlines do. Although in this situation I don't think it was oversold, just sold to capacity.

I suspect Congress may start looking at a Passenger's Bill of Rights V2