Old 04-16-2017, 02:42 AM
Jedimaster
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2015

Originally Posted by cobalt650 View Post
Corporate job at 130-150k, vs legacy airline, starting at age 50. Ready--------go!
Not sure how this fits, but there are similarities to my situation: starting age 57, 10k+TT, 8k+TPIC, 91, 135 and 121, ... problem is last flight left seat 121, 1995. I sort of got tired of driving the bus and had started a construction/trucking business, which died in the 07 crash, been running the big road ever since. 70+k trucking, with a minimum of bs or supervision make it difficult to return, but I have this bucket list...

2 kids graduated college and two in, one senior and one sophomore left, but pretty much paid for. House almost paid off. Vested in a pension and 401k in good shape.

Talked to old commuter (regional), many old mentors have passed on, but a few still remembered me and invited me back.

However, I flew corporate in the 80's, prior to reluctantly joining a commuter due to the tax law change in 87. (lease back) I loved the type of corporate flying I used to do: Single Pilot turbo prop. What happened to all of those small one or two person flight departments? Sort of my ideal goal, maybe one or two frames with round, steam gauges, as I have zero experience with all of the new glass, FMS junk...? Little worried about that.

121 was nice in a different way, as we had everything planned for us, a very reliable support network and FA's to bring us coffee, but very boring. I just recently spent 3.6 hours in a 172 to get a current BFR, but know that I need a few months in the right seat to get comfortable again.

BTW, the house that's almost paid for is in Portland, OR and I won't be moving. Should I go for the predictable and commutable 121, or search for ... what?? I am considering DPJ, as they are commutable from PDX, but really would prefer to find a small flight department. I have substantial PIC experience in all the normal turbo props, i.e.: King Air, AC-690, Cheyenne, Conquest, as well as, in the airline world: three years Metro Captain and two years DHC-8 Captain. Zero jet experience. (unless you count the "on the job training" in LR-20 series. swingin gear on revenue flights,)

I used to think that I could always easily return to aviation, but am finding that things have really changed and dated experience is almost a handicap ... Words of advice please.
Thank you very much.