View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 03:12 PM
JesuitValen
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2016

Originally Posted by Green Needles View Post
Struck a nerve there did I? A pay cut is a pay cut, no matter how you sell it. You're sounding like the shady airlines that include health insurance in their fuzzy math for a "total compensation" to sell the new guys on. You say the 401k has no matching right now? That's completely false. Also, you only get that full amount if you are here five years to be fully vested, otherwise a percentage is gone!

Sick and vacation is paid at a low rate, but I reiterate: sick time is worthless unless you take it. You can have thousands of hours accrued in sick time, but when you leave the company, you know what you get for it? Absolutely nothing! If we were to get paid for the balance of our sick time when you leave the company, that would make a huge difference, because sick time would then be money in the bank.

Yes there are more things that factor into total compensation, but if your salary (paycheck) goes down, that's a pay cut, no matter how you want to propagandize it.

New guys need to know the plain unvarnished truth, not just what recruiters are telling them. If someone still wants to come here knowing a pay cut is likely and we have no career progression, that's fine. They just need to know that coming in.

While there isn't a pilot shortage, Mesa can still hire , the company needs pilots. That puts us in a very good place to negotiate.
Going backwards to forwards, the classes here are near full, so you're not in a good place.

I agree theres no career progression, and that i hope guys leave for American regionals to prove the point. That'll give you leverage.

In my scenario you're paycheck goes up, your retention goes away. If you are on reserve for a whole year and never go above guarantee, for that very small percentage of the pilot population here, they will have a cut of wages. Commuting isnt that bad, but that's a choice to stay in dtw and msp at this point and it has a penalty either way.

You're right, sick time may not get used.

Your retention is not matched on 401k, thats what i said and it's true.