View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 11:19 AM
awakenedpilot
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
Maybe you should take some of disposable income from your good paying corporate job and start flying in the GA world where you won't have to deal with many (if any) of the things that you seemed to dislike about the military flying world.

This is a timely post because I was just complaining to a guy next to me (who was looking at his old SkyWest FAR cross reference cheat sheet thing) about how much EASIER it was flying in my military community than it is even in my P135 job - to which he replied - oh it is even worst in -121 world and then showed me his cheat book.

I've have to say from my perspective - if you didn't like the paperwork and the rules under military flying, you aren't going to like the world of P135/P121 flying.

Lots of people say that flying professionally takes the joy out of it and turns a passion into a job. I haven't found that to be true personally, but I am longing for some less *structured* flying too (or maybe I just miss going upside down sometimes!)

Best of luck in your decision.

Thanks USMC.

That's interesting because what I hear from all my peers flying at the majors now says it is a lot EASIER there than it was in at least the Air Force. They say you mainly show up and just fly, which is NOT what I encountered in the AF.

Also, GA isn't fun for me. In some ways I do like the structure of IFR clearances because VFR flying is so foreign to me. I flew the big planes and I loved those. Also with the AF all the additional duties were priority to flying, so I dealt with constantly feeling non proficient. It's not that I don't want any paperwork; it's the paperwork not even related to anything that wore me out. And waiting hours on a broken jet before canceling!

There is something to be said for setting the parking brake and being truly done with work for the day. I don't have that now. Add that to zero interest in my job and this is why I'm likely changing courses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk