View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 08:43 AM
awakenedpilot
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Originally Posted by pony172 View Post
Stay the three years and get the pension if it is worth it. However, if you were at UPS, that three years of waiting would cost you $12,600 a year in pension if you retired a captain. Not to mention tens of thousands (or more depending on the market) in B-plan (401k) type earnings that almost all major airlines have. Seniority is life.

My next statement is going to sound horrible, but think it about it. $150K is not big money, broaden your outlook a little. The military conditioned us to think that was a lot of money and it was, while we were on active duty. For what we do in the civilian world, in this labor market it is below market value. Even if you broke even and stayed at 150k as an airline guy, you are only working about 14-17 days a month with none of the crap you are dealing with now. Your earning ability per days worked is far higher on this side of the fence. Food for thought.

That has been a large part of my thought process in this. No job is perfect. Yes I know there is nothing inherently special about airline flying after a while, but when you look at it this way as a pay to hours worked ratio it really makes you think differently about that "comfortable, home every night, weekends off" office job. Just have to decide which you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk