View Single Post
Old 04-24-2017, 05:14 PM
Falcondrivr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016

Here's the way imputed income works as far as I understand it:
The day before your trip, Atlas Buys you a ticket from KDTW to PANC. This ticket costs $1000 (example as I have no idea.) They also buy you a hotel room to get your rest in prior to your report time. The room costs $200. You have recieved $1200 of "income" in the eyes of the IRS that was not actually required for you to do your job as you COULD live in PANC. The company has to calculate the paycheck withholding as if you made that $1200 in regular income and withold it from your paycheck. Atlas doesn't get to keep it. Thye have to send it to the IRS with the rest of your paycheck withholding.

Originally Posted by WhiskeyKilo View Post
The voice in the back of my head keeps telling me to look at Atlas. I know the lawsuit between the pilot group and management is not good and the relationship has been suffering for a long time.

The first year pay is a little concerning but it seems like everyone is keeping busy flying if they want to fly. The school house being backed up will slow things down but from what I have been reading those who are on reserve are flying +70 hours a month. Upgrades appear to be moving quickly. A 2017 hire could potentially hold the left seat in as early as 2 years from what I am seeing here.

My biggest concern I see is the stuff about imputed income. What it looks like to me is the company will pay for hotels and flights to/from the job/training but they will basically charge you for it via taxes. Am I getting that right?

I'm not looking to get talked into joining or talked out of staying away I am just trying to form the best opinion with the pros and cons of each company I think I would be interested in flying for.

I live in Metro Detroit and I've already looked at K4. It looks like they are just barely scraping by with flights but Atlas looks like it is a beehive of activity. Although appearances can be deceiving.