Old 09-22-2007, 09:40 AM
ExperimentalAB
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by flyingkangaroo View Post
I understand what you mean by the different certificates. I do believe however that both certificates (if alpa) would have a very similar if not close to an identical contract. My point is more that skywest inc. is much more likely to give both groups a better contract if Skywest airlines votes alpa. If they do this it is likely that the rest of the regional industry will follow. Horizon has a great contract but employs less then 1000 pilots and rarely offers new pilot positions. Therefore the rest of the industry doesn't have to compete against them. Skywest Inc employs between 4000-5000 pilots and both Skywest and ASA are hiring as many pilots as possible. If both Skywest Airlines and Atlantic Southeast Airlines have a really good contract the rest of regional industry will simply have to offer better contracts to attract pilots. Eventually If so many pilots are being employed at good wages at the regionals the majors will have no choice but to offer better contracts to attract pilots and compensate them in relation to their regional counterparts.

I have to disagree with the idea that it isn't really a big deal, it seems to me like it is, every alpa carrier is trying to take back what was lost, it starts from the bottom up.
SkyWest is already attracting multitudes of Pilots from other carriers with the work rules and compensation...if our Crewmember "Policies" were just renamed a "Contract", we'd arguably be leading the regional's. As we are now, along with RAH, XJet, and AWAC.