View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 06:56 AM
snowballsteve
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by MaxMar View Post
First, an abbreviated resume: Right now I'm sitting at 766 total time, been flying jumpers for a little over a year and built around 400 hours doing it. Instrument current since I received my rating 2 years ago, 150 hours of glass cockpit. But no CFI or multi. Hoping to fly for a Boutique/Surf Air/Planesense immediately after I graduate university in May 2018. Our DZ recently finished a turbine conversion on a 206 and I'll be logging a couple hundred hours of turbine PIC between now and then. Hoping for about ~1000 hours TT when my resume hits the market, ~1200 right at graduation.

I've heard quite a lot on both sides of the argument about whether I'd be competitive for jobs at companies stated above. Lots of folks at my school tell me that I'd be better off quitting and putting some money (that's hard to come by, mind you) into a CFI. They say jumper dumping is trash time, is unattractive to employers, and some even immediately discard jump pilots because of the stereotype (sometimes correct, as easily seen on YouTube) that we're dangerous pilots with bad habits. Others say diver driving is great time, good stick and rudder, lots of high performance (and turbine, in my case), dealing with unique situations CFIs may not ever see. I can see valid points on both sides of the coin. I want to fly a SE tprop for someone for a couple years in the IFR environment (with my time I'd like a < 6 month upgrade) and perhaps move into 121 or high-end 135 someday. I get vibes that the low time stepping stones are harder to get into than the regional airlines, and for a guy that's more interested in the 135/91K world that's worrisome. I don't want to fly a Pilatus forever, but I want to do it as PIC for a few years before hitting the jet charter / airline companies.

What is your opinion on my situation? Is VFR turbine PIC going to be enough to get into the places I want to be? I will get my multi as soon as I have a 'real job' where I can afford it, but CFI may not be possible before then. I see these places hiring direct entry street captains but also heard rumors about candidates being turned away for 'lack of appropriate experience', whatever that means.
If this is true in the industry, it could explain why I have had a hard time getting calls back. For the PC12 operators, only Boutique has reached out to me. Otherwise I'm in a similar position to you except instead of getting the turbine upgrade my DZ just closed up shop instead. Been hoping to hear from Planesense, as that is basically my end goal for type of flying and schedule.