View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 08:15 AM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

I know a number of kids flying turbine equipment at drop zones, who go on to airline jobs.

Your biggest challenge is cross country time.

I've flown a lot of jumpers and jumped some, too (C license and 30 years or so). Jump operations do tend to merit less respect, as does ag work and certain other kinds of flying, and not just because it's VFR. In some cases, it's well justified, others not. I've flown for some very small dropzones through the biggest in the world, seen the gamut. I've seen deplorable maintenance, and very good maintenance, safe operations and ones that are anything but.

Here's the thing: you're working, and you're flying. Your logged time is pilot in command, and it's turbine. Unless you're applying to a DZ, nobody is going to have you break down your time to show how much of it was flying jumpers. It's just turbine PIC.

if your instrument skills are up to par enough that you can pass an oral and sim ride, and if you are capable, then your time will be useful in advancing your career.

You could go get your CFI, but lets face it; you're not going to leave flying jumpers to go instruct. You're going to leave flying jumpers to take a job in the direction you want to go, and getting the CFI right now would be tantamount to padding your resume and little else. Having it doesnt make you better; using it can.

Get yourself to 135 minimums and to ATP minimums. That will make you more competitive. Remember, however, that the industry is always awash with thousand-hour hopefuls and those who meet ATP minimums.

Also bear in mind that different employers break down your flight time and experience in different ways. Some look at single or multi; if it's single they may not care much if it's turbine or piston. Others put all piston in the same box. I applied to one airline years ago that counted my experience flying four engine radial powered bombers the same as a 172...because all piston time was counted the same. You can second guess them to death and still not get it right.

Get as much PIC and multi and turbine and instrument experience as you can, but always remember that an hour of flight time and an hour of experience are not the same thing.