View Single Post
Old 03-21-2006, 10:54 AM
jetjock_b777
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: C-152 left

Well CRJ like I said I just turned 21! No I did not make that comment to prove any superiority. I did it for his benefit.

FAA licences are not valid in too many countries as far as I know. All Asian countries including mine (Sri Lanka) follow JAA or CAA. I'm sure you would agree, being far more experienced, that the training provided by a CAA or JAA syllabus is quite superior.

As far as flying is concerned you are right. Not everyone has the opportunity to fly a supersonic aircraft in their lives. I envy you for that! The only two types of supersonic aircrafts that my country has are Kfirs and Mig-27s. I am hoping to join the force in a couple of months but only the most seasoned pilots get those slots. The average Sri Lankan air force pilot has more than 3000 hrs and most of them in combat.

As for your comment about CAA and JAA guys getting into 767s with very few hours, I guess you are right. However, please do note that nothing bad has come out of it. Take as many airlines in my region for example. Emirates, SIA, Etihad, Qatar, Sri Lankan, Thai, Malaysian. Has anyone heard any complaints about bad pilotting techniques? The reason is that the backbone of each of these airlines are held by seasoned veterans like ex-forces pilots.

At the same time, do keep in mind that some of us do have to pay for the training that we undergo. The only way of balancing that cost is to land a sound job somewhere as soon as possible!!!!!

And by the way, try taking off in an air field where there is a forest of towering coconut trees about 150m away from one threshold and landing on the same rwy with a high tension power line running across about 100m from the other threshold. Add to that a stiff x-wind and constant wind shear and you get a reasonably accurate picture of what a basic PPL student goes through when he does his training in my country!