View Single Post
Old 04-29-2017, 08:55 AM
freezingflyboy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 7ER B...whatever that means.

Originally Posted by bentwookie View Post
I'm new and I've been sitting reserve in NYC over the winter. I was fortunate to be awarded my domicile of choice in the last AE and I'll be driving to work shortly.

Despite making myself available - yellow slips etc, I spent most of the winter sitting unused on short/long call. I would have loved to fly more, but it wasn't up to me.

Earlier this year, I decided to personal drop several reserve blocks. I did this two months in a row. The way I saw it - if the company was overstaffed, and I was willing to take time off without pay, it's a win/win for us both. It was costing me a lot of money to sit around in NYC on call, and if I stay home, the wife can pick up shifts while I watch the kids.

When I went in for my last scheduled newhire chat with the CP's office, he saw my history of personal drops and grilled me about it. He didn't exactly come out and ask me *why* I'd done them, but his disapproval was obvious. I began explaining my reasoning, but he cut me off and moved the conversation along, leaving me unsure of where I stood.

My question is - is there a policy (written or unwritten) that I have erred against? Am I using the personal drop in a way that it is not meant to be used? I was too nervous to ask for clarification so I was hoping someone here can offer some insight.

As a side note, I did complete my 100 hours within the allotted 120 days without any trouble, so it wasn't an issue of falling short in that way.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can request anything you want, if the skeds approve it, then you're off the hook. You don't owe the chief or anyone else an explanation for making this job fit better around your life. If anyone hassles you for wanting to spend more time at home vs sitting around a crash pad staring at the walls, then they are really out of touch with what's important.