View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 03:39 PM
Quest
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by glide
I've been following this fine thread for a couple years now...good stuff.

I hold a CJO from CPZ for a summer ground school and have to make plans to commit or not. I wanted to get a brief update on a few troublesome issues that generated hundreds of posts on this forum, but discussions/gripes seem to have gone silent lately. They are:

* The changeover to the new crew scheduling system - still a Charlie Foxtrot or has the system now been fixed?

* The loss of MSP base - this consolidation seems like not a good thing but it's no longer discussed (??).

* A giveback of some ERJs - this again seems like not a good thing but it's no longer discussed (??). I assume the math is that the loss of jets means everyone flys less? What are the future prospects?

(Aside: I recently interviewed with SkyWest and recruiters seemed a bit smug about what has happened with Compass recently. Should I assume from this that the jets Compass lost were re-purposed to SkyWest?)

Ultimately, the question is: is Compass still a good place to join as a new FO?

Sorry for the noob questions... I are one.
Here's my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

1 - Still a cluster****, not much new there

2 - Depending on where you live determines if it's a good or bad thing. If you live/want to be based in LAX or SEA it can be seen as a good thing. Our flying isn't dropping at all, its just being repositioned to be based out of LAX or SEA, so those two bases will theoretically see an increase in flying. To what extent remains to be seen. If you live in MSP, I would quite frankly look elsewhere for employment.

3 - The return of the 170s is now officially over, so we'll get a better idea over the next few months what the flying is going to look like between bases. I personally think that the return of the 170s makes a bit more sense now that we know about MSP closing. There aren't any solid future prospects for new flying right now, but things can change quickly. It's also hard to say if "everybody will fly less" because we don't really know what the company's route structure is going to look like post-MSP closure. And no, the 170s went to Republic, not SkyWest.