Old 05-04-2017, 05:31 PM
FlewNavy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2016

Originally Posted by CTheisen View Post
Hello, sorry if these questions are dumb or if there's a better place to ask them but here goes. I've been reading about the hiring surge going on across the globe for pilots and figured I have some skills that it might be a good idea to put to use. I'm a retired AF officer, F-111 pilot, KC-10 Instructor, about 2,000 hours. I have my commercial license, although limited to centerline thrust (from UPT) and radio operator license. I don't have a current medical, but getting one should be no issue that I can think of.

I haven't flown in about 10 years so I know I would need to invest a bit in getting current and upgrading my license. I'm 48 years old.

Any suggestions for next steps? I'll be searching out all the info I can but I am hoping I can get a good vector here first. Thanks in advance.
My recommendation is to go get some GA time ASAP. You will be surprised how rusty you are and how fast it comes back.

If you were a KC-10 instructor you can get a mil-competency Commercial Pilot, CFI CFII MEI. All you need to do is take the written test and provide proof that you were a rated US military pilot/instructor to the FSDO. Sheppard Air is a good place for the test prep.

In addition to getting some basic GA proficiency, recommend doing some cross country flying over some longer distances and busy airspace. IFR or VFR with flight following. Its not the same as flying a jet and having less decision space, but you will get used to environment again. I have found this particularly useful as my mil experience is all UHF comm and VHF comm is much busier.

Before dropping an app I would definitely get an IPC and probably review IFR procedures, climbs, descents and learn Jeppesen plates. From what I have learned from this forum, regional airline training programs are designed to take 1500 hour piston CFI/CFII types and making them airline pilots. They are expected to have instrument procedures down but may have zero jet time.

Good luck.