View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 01:51 PM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by Quarryman View Post

If I ask you, as an engineer, to work 8 hours a day but I will only pay you 4 hours, would you do it? Would the hamburger flipper do it? Yet, every day, hundreds of pilots do it with (butt) cheeks wide open in the brace position.

Walk away from this circus act called commercial flying. But wait, I bet circus workers get paid 8 hours for 8 hours' labor.
My attorney gets a days pay for fifteen minutes work. I get paid a small fortune to stand by, and when I actually do fly, I get paid that small fortune every hour, plus per diem, plus overtime, etc. it quickly becomes a large fortune, and whether it matches hour-for-hour is irrelevant.

The job is the job, and the way pay is scheduled varies by the employer. Some pay by the hour, some by the day, some by the year. Some have trip rigs, some have contract rates. The pay arrepangements are different than an engineer in some cases, but then a pilot is not an engineer.

Some pilots get paid for consultation, others don't. I've been paid for showing up, whether I fly. I've been paid for starting an engine, or taxiing, even if I don't fly. I get paid to simply be available. I've been paid to standby while I penned a novel.

The comparison that one isn't paid as an hourly circus worker while employed as a professional pilot is non sequitur, straw man, and idiotic.

One is welcome to leave aviation to work in a circus if it suits. I guarantee that no circus on earth will come remotely close to my annual wage, or standard of living. If someone feels they'd rather work in a circus, have at it, but don't make the idiotic inferrence that because a circus worker has a simple pay mode, it should apply to aviation, or any other field or job.

The circus worker has neither minimum guarantee, 401K, insurance, seniority, loss of license insurance, or the ability to carry professional certification gained on the job to thousands of other circuses with upward mobility and career pay in the hundreds of thousands per annum. The worlds largest and oldest circus is about to shutter its doors permanently. Aviation, not so much.