View Single Post
Old 05-12-2017, 03:15 PM
jetlag7
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: CL650

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
Well he is adding the cost of medical insurance from another company, to the salary to show the monetary value. The arguement is really invalid as it shouldn't be shown as part of the pay. It's a huge benefit to not have to pay for healthcare but it should never be used to compare pay. It especially isn't a reason to under pay pilots.

There is a back and forth comparison of benefits from company to company and not having to pay for healthcare might be a benefit big enough for somebody to take lower pay and that's fine.
That's not what I was doing. I was trying to get an estimation of what your gross pay will be next year at your current employer based on statements you made.

YOU said that even with the medical insurance premiums, you were going to make more in your second year than a 7 year NJ SIC on the 7/7.

A 7/7 NJ SIC has a base of $84,065. It's been discussed on this thread and many others a 10% base to gross override is a good estimator of yearly gross pay. -- That's how I arrived at the $92,472 figure.

I added what you quoted as your yearly medical premiums ($7800) to this number to come up with a second year salary matching what you claimed you should earn next year.... $100,272

I ran the numbers, and couldn't see how this was possible at Virgin so that's why I started asking questions about Open Time multipliers.

Crunching the numbers, it looks to me like a Second-year Virgin pilot could in fact accomplish this by bidding min guarantee 70 block hours, then picking up 20 hours of Open Time each month for 12 months. (90 hours)

90 hours seemed like a lot of time away from home to me, so that's why I was asking questions pertaining to average work days per month.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk