View Single Post
Old 05-15-2017, 02:00 PM
viper548
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: A-320

Originally Posted by Richbv View Post
Hi! I am A320 type rated, have a 4 yeara degrees, no jet PIC, 1800 total time, 1600 on the A320 (currently flying). I am getting my ATP written next week and ATP next montt. No Part 121, all A320 hours in a foreign carrier. I know I am low on hours, but the degree, type and hours are probably a plus. Is AA (or any legacy) way out of my league? I have a good contact on a US major LCC trying to recruit me once I hit the 2000 total. I am thinking I could get some experience flying for the LCC and then try the legacies or fly for a regional and jump to the legacies or I can stay where I am for 3-4 years and transition to the B787. The conditions here are:
Max 5 days on, 4 sectors per day (max 6), 9 mandatory days off (actually getting 11-13), 90 hours max (some months they max you out), 30 days paid vacation per year, a lot of roster changes, fixed salary though. About 3 to 4 overnights out of home per month. Very high power distance here and some operational chaos here due to some infrastructure and planning.
. Whatever I do I want to end up flying in the US sooner or later, my dilemma here is that the B787 here is practically closer than anywhere else in the world. Any comments, suggestions or ideas are welcomed.
To be competitive You'll need over 5000 hours and PIC time. It would probably be a backwards move, but going to a regional and getting some PIC time would probably be your fastest bet to get to American. Piedmont, PSA, and Envoy have guaranteed flow to American. I'm not sure how long that would take for a new hire though. I don't have the stats for off the street hires, but very few of our pilots get hired that way. Half come from flow thru programs and about half come from the military. The very few leftovers come from other regionals, other majors, part 135, etc.
You would be competitive at Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant much sooner than Delta, American, and United.