Old 05-19-2017, 09:48 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by Grom1234 View Post
No formal flight experience. I have done 2 intro flights, 2 aerobatic experiences (where the pilot hook really dug in) and a glider flight. I really like being up in the air.

Did I forget to mention I have been an adrenalin junky all my life? My ultimate goal was to be a fighter pilot. Had the USAF ROTC scholarship in hand all set to go and... bam... Got diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. Dream gone over night. Walk of shame back to the enlisted **** show.

"Btw - have you and the wife ever spent a considerable amount of time away from each other (and believe me that will change with your new addition joining soon!)? What use to be supportive can quickly become untenable."

- Yes, we have spent just short of 6 months apart and another that was 4 months. Also many weeks apart at many different times. Not with a new baby though. I get the point your making.
If that is what sunk in the "pilot hook" then you'll really be disappointed in 'regular' type airline/corporate flying!

Once again I'll mention then that maybe you would be better off with flying your own plane or getting involved in aerobatic flying, training, etc... than pursuing *most* (not all) fields of professional flying - because most would not be described as 'adrenalin junky' flying.

I'm glad you see the point I'm trying to make with the family and time away; and I'm especially glad you see the point I'm trying to make that ALL THINGS CHANGE with your new circumstances. Plenty of people make it - plenty of people don't. Like everything else - there are risks and rewards in aviation. Whatever decision you make - just go in with eyes and eyes wide open and not with some preconceived notions you've built up in your mind or off a web board.