Old 05-22-2017, 09:35 AM
Groundpointfife
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017
Position: On guard

Originally Posted by yeahbutstill View Post
I do have to say I didnt come back into aviation until I saw the 1st year pay go up, before that I was fine flying for fun on the weekends.

I also know a buddy of mine leaving the military (rotary) because he can now afford to feed his family on current regional pay, so I can see there is no shortage of pilots, just a whole group that wont work for peanuts.
Correct. Embry-Riddle did a study about 2 years ago asking how much would the regionals have to pay for you to return to aviation? $40k was pretty much the low end of what people would accept. The majority want to see $60-70k enrty level to make a jump.

https://youtu.be/Mx9Ry4ocy98

The video is a recent Embry-Riddle discussion of the "pilot shortage," the current airline pilot says there is an applicant shortage, not a pilot shortage due to lack of compensation and work rules...on the regional level.

The Dean of the college of aviation goes on to say that the ATP rule allows his school to keep flight instructors just barely long enough to teach the next CFIs. Also attrition is down for students since they can finally see career progression.

Last edited by Groundpointfife; 05-22-2017 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Added sentence